The Wi-5 project objectives are to address radio spectrum interference and spectrum usage inefficiency by:
- Integrating novel smart functionalities into APs that will enable coordination between these APs. Coordination between APs will help to reduce radio interference, and optimise Wi-Fi spectrum usage.
- Optimising packet grouping techniques for small-packet traffic (voice, gaming, etc.)
- Designing an inter-operator-domain AP cooperation platform that enables coordination between APs of different operators, even if they support different coordination protocols.
- Designing inter-operator domain vertical handover mechanisms to offload Wi-Fi wherever possible and reasonable. The offload can take place to other Wi-Fi networks or to non-Wi-Fi networks such as 3G/4G/5G or even fixed networks. The vertical handover can be completely “over the top” or supported by an inter-operator coordination platform and/or additional smart AP functionality.
- Integrating the above solution into a single optimised architecture.